PATCH Re: [gtk-list] tooltips bug causes segfault.

Todd Dukes wrote:

> The simplified format of my window is like this
>
> ------------------------------
> |                             |
> |  clist                      |
> |                             |
> -------------------------------
>  ------   -------   -------
> |entry | | entry | | entry |
>  ------   -------   -------
>
> The clist has a pop-up menu. One of the options
> is close. When close is selected, the window and
> all of the widgets inside it are destroyed.
>
> The entry fields each have a tooltip.
>
> If the pop-up menu is positioned so that the close
> item is over one of the entries, my application my
> segfault. The stack track looks like it is processing
> a tooltip widget. The last few functions in the stack
> trace are:
>
> gtk_tooltips_event_handler ()
> gtk_tooltips_set_active_widget ()
> gtk_widget_hide ()
>
> What I believe is happening is that a signal is emitted to
> tell the tooltip to display itself is emittedm but by the time
> it gets to the widget, the widget isn't there any more.
>
> Would this be considered a bug in my code or a bug in the toolkit?
>
> I am using gtkmm and haven't isolated whether this is gtkmm only or
> not.
>
> thanks,
> Todd.
> --
>    | Todd Dukes                      E-MAIL:  tdukes@ibmoto.com |
>    | Motorola Somerset                  Phone:   (512) 424-8008 |
>    | 6200 Bridgepoint Parkway Building #4 MS OE70               |
>    | Austin, Texas 78730                                        |
>
> --

This patch appears to fix this. I still have to disable the tooltips
while the menu is up. But before, even with the tooltips disabled the
segfault would occur. An easier work around would be nice, but at least
this patch makes stability possible.

Can someone please review this and commit it.

thanks,
Todd.

*** gtktooltips.c.1.2.3	Tue Jun 29 14:56:24 1999
--- gtktooltips.c	Tue Jun 29 14:57:02 1999
***************
*** 593,599 ****
        break;

      default:
!       gtk_tooltips_set_active_widget (tooltips, NULL);
        break;
      }

--- 593,600 ----
        break;