GTK --with-xinput=xfree problem

On Fri, Jan 01, 1999 at 09:57:58AM -0800, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> If this is a problem with 1.1.11 **PLEASE** mail gtk-list@redhat.com..
> nobody has brought this up. We should get it fixed upstream rather
> than a kludge in the packages..
I've talked to Owen Taylor about it.  The eMusic author traced the problem
down to one line of code in GTK where it was freezing. I'm appending
his message below. Neither him nor I have heard anything about it since.

Basically, the problem happens when XInitThreads() is called before
gtk_init().  For more details, ask the author (ijr@po.cwru.edu) :)

From: ijr@po.cwru.edu
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 21:00:58 -0500 (EST)
To: Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [ijr@po.cwru.edu: Re: GTK+ bug?]
Cc: Brian Almeida <bma@debian.org>

Okay, I compiled my copy of gtk with --with-xinput=xfree to see where it was
freezing..  so with XInitThreads() called before the gtk_init(), it seems to be
locking in gdk_input_common_init(), gdkinputcommon.h:444 ::
        devices = XListInputDevices(display, &num_devices);

I don't know anything about the xinput extension, so I don't think I'll be able
to debug any further..

Isaac