Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk+-1.2.0 compile problems

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Patrick O'Neil wrote:
> >
> > I first ran "CFLAGS=-O6 -fno-exceptions;./configure
> > --with-glib=/usr/src/gtk/
> > glib-1.2.0"
[...]
> -fno-exceptions is a C++ flag, so it makes no sense here AFAIK.
>
> For gcc, the GNU toolset will choose the optimizations considered "best"
> by the experts so it is probably best to leave the defaults.

Alright.  I was following the advice of others in regards to using
either
egcs or pgcc (I use pgcc) as compilers.  Apparently they both add
unneeded
exception handling code to resulting compiled binaries which causes
their
size to be larger.

> (it's worth trying anyway - start with an untouched tarball.)
>
> > -lX11   /usr/src/gtk/glib-1.2.0/libglib.la
> > /usr/src/gtk/glib-1.2.0/gmodule.la
> > -lm
> > Live child 0x08099840 PID 24337
> > libtool: link: `/usr/src/gtk/glib-1.2.0/gmodule.la' is not a valid
> > libtool archive
> >
> > So now it has a problem with gmodule.la and, yes this file does exist
> > in the ../glib-1.2.0/gmodule subdirectory as libgmodule.la.
> >

> libgmodule.la should be in $(prefix)/lib/libgmodule.la, not
> glib-1.2.0/gmodule.la as the libtool line there says.
>
> Instead of using --with-glib, just be sure glib-config is in your path and
> let Gtk figure things out on its own.

I did this because of what INSTALL says.  I have compiled, but not
installed
glib-1.2.0.  I have glib and gtk+ 1.1.13 installed at present (and
working) so
I didn't want to mess things up before I had too.  In INSTALL there is a
blurb
specifically addressing this stating that you can add the --with-glib=
switch
to configure to point to where the un-installed glib is.  I don't want
install any of this until it is all successfully compiled, both glib and
gtk.

Might a temporary symlink for glib-config work rather than messing with
PATH or moving files to locations I am not ready to move them to yet?

> > I must say, of all the apps, etc, that I have compiled, gtk itself and
> > any and all apps that depend upon it have been the most trouble.  I have
> > yet to find one that will simply compile...and I have done nothing wierd
> > with my gtk and glib installations in the past.
>
> Well you are doing some weird and possibly broken things it looks like.
> Just don't fool with it, it works by itself with no intervention.
>
> As for particular apps, yes many authors do not package them correctly
> (they may not use gtk-config as they should). It's also common that they
> rely on a version of Gtk other than the one you have; the 1.2 release

My most common gtk+ -based app problem involves gtk-config.  In EVERY
case
the compile craps out due to an error with gtk-config.  I always get a
message that either it has been moved since original installation
(never)
or it is the wrong one (impossible, unless the wrong gtk-config file is
always and persistently packaged in every binary gtk+ rpm ever
released).

"If a man hasn't discovered something that
he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
	          --Martin Luther King, Jr

Padraig UiNiall