continuously drawing without events?

Hi there
As a newbie I have maybe a simple, already answered question, so please
excuse what follows:
I'm trying to build a data-plotter, that must continuously show new data
on a xy-plot. All drawing examples that I've seen so far use
user-interface-events for drawing (simple-scribble and so on...).
Is it possible to solve that problem without events, i.e to run a
function in the background that updates the plot with the incoming new
data after gtk_main() is called?
Chris
Ch. B. Westermann

University of Bern
Physikalisches Institut
Sidlerstrasse 5            phone: +41(0)31 6314417
3012 Bern                    fax: +41(0)31 6314405
Switzerland                email: christian.westermann@phim.unibe.ch
 			   http://phimcasymir.unibe.ch/casymir/cas_SS.html