Re: [gtk-list] New gtk+-1.1.15 problems...

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Michael Schwegel wrote:

> But now, none of the other programs that previously used gtk work.  At
> first, they couldn't find the libraries, because they were referencing
> them by different filenames (libgtk.so.1, libglib.so.1, libgdk.so.1).  I
> fixed this problem by making links to the needed libraries.  Now, however,
> when I try to run these programs, I get errors like the following:

What was the previous version of gtk that you had installed?

I am assuming whichever version it was, it was one that is binary
incompatible with the current one.  While creating the symlinks allows the
old gtk apps to "find" the new libraries, they are looking for a different
version of the library, and thus looking for functions that are no longer
there (the undefined symbol error messages)

You either need to keep a copy of the old gtk libraries on your system for
these other apps, or you need to recompile (or get newer binaries) of all
of these other apps.

-chris

Christopher Rogers      Stevens Institute of Technology
gandalf@pobox.com       http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was.