Re: [gtk-list] Re: Window manager window placement and X modifiers/states

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:

> Matthew D Allen <s2mdalle@titan.vcu.edu> writes:
> > If the wm is in a good mood, it will make it so.  And if it isn't in a
> > good mood, then it'll put it wherever the hell it wants. :)  I've been
> > having some problems with enlightenment being a bastard about where it
> > puts windows.  From what I've read, it would suggest that there isn't a
> > way to force the issue.  Is that true?
> >

> Indeed it is. It's fair to say that if you _require_ the window
> manager to comply with your position request that your app is broken
> though. A good example is xmms, which is spectacularly broken (I don't
> think the authors care, since they are going for flash, but it's still
> broken).

<snip>

But it's instructive to consider what the xmms authors make it do, as a
means of figuring out what sorts of fancy functionality might be useful
to have in the interface between the application and the window manager
(relevant for the wmspec list, e.g.).

With Scwm, we use our built-in constraint solver to support the same
kind of auto-snapping functionality that xmms provides, but allow it
between arbitrary windows.  (Sorry, no gesture-based interface to
ripping windows apart, yet, as we were talking about over lunch many
months ago-- just a modifier key).

Greg