Re: [gtk-list] Pie menus need gdk/gtk addons

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 nelson-gtk@crynwr.com wrote:

> Hi.  To whom do I have to perform obsequience and supplication to get
> some code added to gdk and gtk?  Pie menus need the following
> functions added to gdk and gtk to be implemented without breaking
> layering.

allthough there isn't much enthusiasm found for pie menus amongst the core
Gtk+ developers, we are certainly interested in reasonable additions to
the Gdk/Gtk layers.
in general, addition of new functions should be discussed on
gtk-devel-list@redhat.com, for moderatedly sized functions, it is often
a good idea to also post the actuall implementation, so things can be
discussed in more detail there.

> -russ
>
> -------------------------------- gdk addons --------------------------------
>
> gint
> gdk_change_active_pointer_grab (GdkEventMask 	event_mask,
> 				GdkCursor *	cursor,
> 				guint32		time)

this should cover a new event mask as well.

> void
> gdk_window_warp_pointer (GdkWindow     *src_window,
> 			 GdkWindow     *dest_window,
> 			 gint 	    	src_x,
> 			 gint		src_y,
> 			 guint		src_width,
> 			 guint		src_height,
> 			 guint		dest_x,
> 			 guint		dest_y)

warping the pointer is a) a seldomly used "feature" and b) often very
irritating to the user, which is pretty much why Gdk doesn't currently
contain this function.
however, i think that the X interface for warping a pointer is overly
complicated (or "featurefull") and if at all, we should only provide
something as simple as:

gdk_pointer_warp (gboolean relative_move, guint x, guint y);

thit will warp the pointer to a position either relative to the root window's
origin or relative to its current position.
if you want the pointer to end up at a specific position within a specific
window, that can easily be computed through gdk_window_get_origin () plus
the offset.

> gboolean
> gdk_window_have_shape_ext (void)
>
> void
> gdk_window_shape_combine_rectangles (GdkWindow 		*window,
> 				     GdkRectangle 	*rectangles,
> 				     gint		n_rectangles,
> 				     gint		x,
> 				     gint		y)

> void
> gtk_window_set_win_position (GtkWidget *widget,
> 			     gint	     x,
> 			     gint	     y)

what is this function meant to do? if you simply want to move a toplevel
gtk widget, gtk_widget_set_uposition() might be what you are looking for.

---
ciaoTJ