multiple versions

Hello all, I'm a newbie trying to install GTK+ 1.2.3 in order to compile additional software packages on my RedHat 5.2 system. I've managed to get GTK (and Glib) installed using the standard ./configure, make, make install process but when i go to put other things on, they complain that the wrong versions of gtk are installed. when i check i see the redhat distribution installed rpms for GTK and Glib 1.0.3, which I can't seem to replace because several other things have dependancies on them. Can anyone offer assistance on how to replace the old versions and update the other software? Or can the two different versions exist together? Thanks for any help,

-
Marty Rogers
etothex@eudoramail.com