libdl.so.1 being used?

I recently upgraded to glibc and I am trying to install gtk+-1.2 for the
first time.
So I first downloaded and built glib, did the make check, and installed it
after all the tests passed.
When I tried to ./configure gtk+, however, it halted with an error about not
having glib correctly installed. I tracked this down in the config.log, and
it looks like the little test program is trying to use libdl.so.1 instead of
libdl.so.2. Im not sure that this library is, but I did notice that the
.so.1 version uses libc5 and the .so.2 version uses glibc. I'm not sure why
the test program wants to use the .so.1 version, but it is preventing me
from moving forward. Doesn't this mean that a program built and linked
aganist glibc is trying to use a libc5 library? Why would it do that?

Did I fail to install glibc correctly? Does anyone know a way around this
problem?

If you need more version / system information I can happily provide it. I
did upgrade the linker to the 2.x version, leaving the 1.9.9 libc5 version
behind.

--shawn