Re: [gtk-list] Re: multithreaded apps

> Also, its not as unspeakably bitchen as you allude. Although from a
> programming point of view it makes things easy, it can cause a
> substantially increased workload for the OS scheduler. If I wanted
> "soft real time" performance, the last thing I would want to do is to
> fork 200 threads (my current "soft real time" project typically has
> about that many windows, sometimes more). The idea that the scheduler
> has to trawl through and cause that many threads to run each time I do
> something that exposes or otherwise causes a redraw of every window is
> absurd.

Well, this isn't a BeOS advocacy list, but the manner in which the engineers
did it is quite exceptional and Linux folks should hold judgement until
they see it in action on slow 601 PPC chip.

The BeOS scheduler is quite fast and so is the file system.

X Windows is *NOT* the entire GUI universe and that should be respected.

Same goes for the Linux kernel as the FreeBSD folks will attest.

> The GTK+-with-IPC-via-gtk_input_add model that I alluded to creates
> just one UI thread that can handle redraw requests from an arbitrary
> number of windows/display objects, and doesn't burden the OS scheduler
> anymore than necessary.
>
> --p

bill