Re: [gtk-list] Re: Installation Phun

Antony Bowers wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Tony Gale wrote:
>
> > Make sure you don't have any previous versions of GTK lying around.
>
> Ah! Is this a problem?
>
> I run Red Hat 5.0 (as I suspect do many others on this list). There are
> programs in the standard RH5.0 distribution (such as control-panel) that
> depend on an early version of gtk+. I presume these will break if I
> overwrite this early version with the latest.
>
> I would like to have the latest gtk+ installed, to support the latest gimp
> and for development. So what are people doing about this?

What you could do is use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to specify the search path for
dynamic libraries, and ensure that the directory with the latest gtk+
libs in it appear earlier than /usr/lib which will have the ones from
the RPM. Simply set this variable in your shell when doing gtk+ hacking,
or in a wrapper shell script when running the GIMP etc.

Note I haven't actually done this myself -- I don't use those gtk+
programs in RH5.0 that much anyway. When I need to use them I just
reinstall the RPM and then remove it again afterwards.

Regards
M.Beach