gtk_file_selection_new() problem

I have been running with 1.0.3 for a while in work (on solaris). I
downloaded 1.0.4, and brought it home to my linux box. I compiled up some
code I had working with 1.0.3, and for some reason it crashed.

 I did some investigating, and it's crashing while trying to call
XQueryFont, with gdk_display still set to NULL. It did this all the time,
even in such a program:

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
   GtkWidget *file_sel;
   gtk_file_selection_new("Hello");
   printf("Got to here\n");

}

 It didn't even print out the "Got to here" - it just used up all my swap,
and the machine died. Most annoying. Am I doing something funny, or is it
something known ?

Kate