Re: separate libs (was: KDE Gnome Qt gtk--)

On 16 Jan 1998, Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> Nonetheless, I'd like to add my voice to the request that the
> "complex" widgets currently in gtk could be put aside in a separate
> library. For instance, the gamma curve, toolbar, file selection (this
> last one is debatable since it's so often used), tree and clist

Tree and clist are integral to the core set of gtk widgets.   Toolbar
and file selection widgets seem more like app convienence functions,
although extremely important.  Gamma curve fits into core the least.

What is the advantage though of seperating them?  Is this a
performance problem you wish to address?  It seems likely to
me that you would end up linking in all the libraries anyway,
for most apps.

I'm not convinced anything should be broken up currently.

> widgets. And also that people thinking of writing such high-level
> widgets very much should consider writing them in gtk--.

They should be written entirely in C and glue added to gtk--, guile-gtk,
perl-Gtk, etc.  A widget, no matter what level, should be able to work
in all these languages.

--
Shawn T. Amundson		Complete Internet Solutions
Senior Systems Administrator	Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

while (i) { last }
    i, do exist.
    forever;