Re: [gtk-list] Re: drag and drop protocol: compatible with gtk?

On 3 Jan 1998, Owen Taylor wrote:

> What is implemented in GTK is a earlier version of this protocol.
> It won't interoperate right now, but presumably the protocol in GTK
> will be updated to conform.

Not likely, I hope.

> Looking at the web page, it is a definite improvement over what is in
> GTK now

How so? I.e. what's wrong with what is currently in Gtk, what improvements
do you see the JX protocol making, what changes do you think both
protocols need?

> though I'm still not completely satisfied with it. It does a pretty good
> job at being a nice simple, lightweight protocol.

The Gtk protocol does things the way I think they should be done. The JX
protocol has some nice things, but it also has some real shortcomings as I
see it, and I don't think it is wise to support it.

> Personally, I'd like to use this opportunity to reorganize DND in GTK so
> that we can later add Motif DND interoperability without changing the
> the API.

I'm pretty certain that we can put Motif in without changing the API as it
is, but yes, putting the DND stuff into a separate file (and perhaps
changing gdk_event_translate) might be nice.

-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"They don't let my code go into shipping products," Gates said. "They
 haven't done that for eight years." (at the 1997 PDC)