Re: [gtk-list] Re: Widgets w/o borders & shadows?

On 7 Feb 1998, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > I'm tempted to make a separate widget for it, something like
> > "GtkBorderlessButton" or similar... OTOH, we could have an awful lot of
> > widgets around eventually, if we'd have a new one for every tiny
> > "speciality".
>
> Shawn was thinking about writing such a thing a long time
> ago. (For Aorta) I don't know if he ever did. (As you say,
> it may not be the best approach..)

Ok, I'm like only 18 days late on this one... ;-)

I did write that "flatbutton" widget quite a while ago.  It worked
great, but seems like overkill to get that affect.  (The widget is
old now, so it probably don't even compile, etc.)

Ok, here is my bit about borders, for GTK 2.0.  I think this fits
in with theme stuff as well.  Basically, we would have something like:

gtk_widget_set_border_shadow(widget, GTK_SHADOW_NONE);
gtk_widget_set_border_shadow(widget, GTK_SHADOW_IN);

This actually would make implementing the code to draw a button
even more trivial than it is now, because it is pushed off into
some more generalized widget drawing code.  (Note this is already
done somewhat by the seperation of the shadow drawing from the
widget, but this extends that a bit to allow changing the border
shadow at run time on any widget.)

Perhaps Raster would have some insight into this since he has
been looking at theming the button?

--
Shawn T. Amundson		Complete Internet Solutions
Senior Systems Administrator	Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

while (i) { last }
    i, do exist.
    forever;