newbie question on gdk

Hi. As a bit of a newbie to gtk, I decided to first try just playing
around with a few gdk functions to see how they worked. I have a simple
program (included below) which I thought should put a window on the
screen, wait 3 seconds then exit.

What it actually does is wait around for about 3 seconds, flash up a
window briefly, then exit immediately. Have I done something wrong, or
have I done things right, and this behaviour is expected but for a
reason that I am not aware of.

BTW, this is all with gtk+-0.99.2.

Thanks for any light shed...

Regards
M.Beach

/*
 * hoax.c
 *
 * Some arbitrary hoaxing about with gdk, just to get a feel for it,
 * before I jump in and start trying to write any cute RScheme
 * interface.
 */

#include <unistd.h>

#include <gdk/gdk.h>

void main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
  GdkWindow *my_window;
  GdkWindowAttr my_attr;
  GdkGC *my_gc;

  /* initialise gdk */
  gdk_init(&argc, &argv);

  /* create a window */
  my_attr.title = "wibble";
  my_attr.wclass = GDK_INPUT_OUTPUT;
  my_attr.window_type = GDK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL;
  my_attr.x = 100;
  my_attr.y = 100;
  my_attr.width = 250;
  my_attr.height = 250;
  my_window = gdk_window_new(NULL, &my_attr,
GDK_WA_TITLE|GDK_WA_X|GDK_WA_Y);

  my_gc = gdk_gc_new(my_window);

  /* show the window */
  gdk_window_show(my_window);
  gdk_window_clear(my_window);

  sleep(3);

  /* shut down gdk and exit the program */
  gdk_exit(0);
}