gtk_signal_connect_interp()

I've got a question about using gtk_signal_connect_interp() vs
using gtk_signal_connect().  From what I've been able to figure
out (and from everything I've looked at, nobody uses
gtk_signal_connect_interp() at all), if I need to have the
data portion of a signal handler freed or taken care of in some
way when the handler is removed, I need to do something like:

 gtk_signal_connect_interp(GTK_OBJECT(item), "expand",
                           expand_tree, s, g_free, FALSE);

(where the data, s, is the result of a g_strdup()).  Is this
correct?  Does gtk_signal_connect_interp() do more than that?
Is there some other way to accomplish what I need?

Is there someplace other than the source I should be looking that
explains all this?

Thanks,
Marc