Re: Bug in fileselection [0.99.3] ?

Nils Philippsen <nils@rhlx01.rz.fht-esslingen.de> writes:

> On 2 Feb 1998, Preben Randhol wrote:
>

> > I took out the code from the testgtk.c modified it so that when
> > choosing a file the fileselection window was destroyed (calling
> > gtk_detroy_widget(fileselectionwindow) from the callback function
> > of the Ok button). This works fine if you choose a file and then press
> > the Ok button. If you however double click on a file the whole program
> > crashes with a BadWindow error or some such.
>
> I experienced this since 0.99.0. It's easy to fix - if you know how. Just
> connect "destroy" of the file selection to the function you connected to the
> Cancel button and you should be happy again. BTW: I think this should be done
> by default - It has been working up to gtk+-971201 without connecting
> "destroy", so why doesn't it do this way since 0.99.0? Owen? <- Let's see if
> this draws attention :-)

I don't know what was wrong with 0.99.3, exactly, but I found quite
a few problems with the current CVS:

 - The FileSelection "destroy" handler wasn't multiply callable
   (only a temporary problem, but was hiding the other problems)

 - CList didn't properly gdk_window_set_data (window, NULL) all its
   windows, so it could get events on them after it was
   destroyed/finalized!

and, most importantly

 - gtk_widget_propagate didn't ref count properly.

After fixing all of those, things seem to work fine.

> My advice to all having weird problems with gtk programming: Keep a copy of
> the gimp source somewhere on the box, if you're in trouble see how it's
> handled there, it saved me a lot of time (and nerves)

Hmmm. Well, that may only make sure that bugs that aren't exposed
by the GIMP, aren't exposed elsewhere. If you are having a weird
problem, post it here (preferably with a small test case) and
hopefully we can either fix it, or explain why it isn't really
that weird.

> > I also tested the code with gtk+-971025 and it worked there, no
> > errors.
>
> Yes. I still do not know if I should consider this as a bug or a feature...

Very much a bug.

Regards,
                                        Owen