Re: [gtk-list] GtkCList and shortcuts

Pascal Rigaux <rigaux@irisa.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 12:39:48AM -0700, Matt Wimer wrote:
> > In addition:  clist in MULTIPLE mode needs to take shift/ctrl click
> > modifiers for it to be even halfway useful.
> >
> > My opinion on list and clist:  They are totally worthless for anything
> > remotly sophisticated.
> >
> > I guess i would be happy with a 100 line hack, if you or i knew one.
>
> I agree with Matt.
>
> As I've said before, I'd like to write a crude file manager-like program, that
> uses a lot of shortcuts.
> That's why I'm going to add shift/ctrl modifiers to clist (I've looked at
> xqf). But not only for mouse operations, also for arrow keys. The arrow keys
> normally changes which widget has the focus. I have to override this
> behaviour...

 The drop down listbox with editcell (this is called a combo box ? --
hey I've got too much junk in my head already). Overrides the arrows,
so you'll probably want to copy how it does it.
 Also speaking about that in textgtk.c I can get different behavior
with the combo box, sometimes when I press the down arrow it will drop
down the list and sometimes it won't (but it does move the selection
-- which when moving with the list down doesn't). Is this a bug in
testgtk the combo box widget, or some functionality that I just
couldn't work out the formula for ?

> A general remark: shortcuts in gtk aren't great. I really think the way Windobe
> handles shortcuts should be copied (I also think it's nearly all that should be
> copied from Windobe), it's very efficient for those hating their mouse. For
> example, in Windobe, you can do nearly everything without using your mouse AND
> without knowing any shortcuts (as the window tells you the
> shortcuts). Underlined letters are a good way to go through a dialog box.  Under
> X-window, it's not that easy. In Gimp, when you remember the keystroke, it's
> great. But when you don't remember it, well, you have to use your mouse.

 Putting the F10 motif would also be useful (probably more so, as that
would leave all the ALT keys free for menu accelerator use).

--
# James Antill -- jamesa@demon.net
:0: