Re: [gtk-list] Re: Newbie with some low level questions

Thanks for the info on requisition. I'll give it a go.

Tim Janik wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Doug South wrote:
>

> > Also, when I put a fixed within a window, I have no problem resizing and
> > moving the widget around UNTIL the window is resized. Then the widget is
> > placed back into its original position (upper left hand corner of the
> > fixed). Is there something I need to do in conjunction with allocate or
> > is there a signal being broadcast from window that I could remove to
> > short-curcuit this functionality?
>
> concerning the movement, all containers will automatically layout
> their children (that's why you see your widgets position to be resetted
> when you resize the window). basically you should only move widgets around
> which are children of a GtkFixed container by using gtk_fixed_move();

Unfortunately, this isn't good from my point of view. When I move a
widget without gtk_fixed_move(), if the widget goes beyond the bounds of
the fixed area, it doesn't affect the size of the fixed. If I use
gtk_fixed_move() and the widget goes beyond the bounds of the fixed
area, the fixed grows to accommodate them.

I need to not have the fixed area affected by wherever the widget is
placed within it, even if that means the widget cannot even be seen in
the fixed with the current height and width of the fixed.

Ok, I bet your probably shaking your head thinking I crazy or just a
plain moron at this point, but my problem is that I'm trying to
implement the native code needing to implement Java. I need the Java
classes to handle the window management and not the library, otherwise I
wouldn't be quite so picky.

Doug

PS sorry about the last message, major brain failure this end... 8(
--
My wasted space --- http://www.squirrel.net/~dsouth