Installing GTK by hand

In case it is not just absurdly complex, could somebody tell me where
should each component of the GTK system be placed? I run Slackware linux
and I like to make packages (a Slackware package is just a tgz with an
extra control script, that can be uninstalled cleanly by pkgtool) of
anything I use.
I simply won't figure out what the correct paths are by looking at the
makefile.
How about static and shared libs in /usr/X11R6/lib, and headers in
/usr/include/X11/[glib,gdk,gtk]? Would I miss something? Does the
installer configure something I should do by hand?
Thanks in advance.
-Daniel