Window manager hints

  Good day again,

I was able to solve my problems with top down
window resizing by intercepting all resize
signals, that assign a widget the size, it already
has.

So here is my next problem, which looks like a
bug in the window manager hinting code (which
I have not yet looked at). I use an okt. version
of the GTK, so this could be fixed already.

I have
- a top level GtkWindow containing
- a GtkFixed widget containing
- two widgets (menu_bar and a button)

When I resize the window using my window manager
(Afterstep) to make the window bigger I have no
problems. As part of my program, the menu bar is
resized to fit the whole width of the top level
window (which is normal behaviour, of course).

When I resize the window to make i _horizontally_
smaller, it is no longer possible as the window
manager refuses to make the resizing rectangle
smaller than the menu bar. There is no problem
to resize the window to make vertically smaller
(i.e. reduce its height) using the window manager.

I think this is caused
by the application giving the WM a wrong hint.
Is this a known bug or possibly even a feature?
Any cure or way to switch off?

Robert Roebling <roebling@ruf.uni-freiburg.de>