Re: Malayalam character classification

Owen Taylor said on Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 10:33:32AM -0400,:

 > As I read Peter Constable's proposal, I think you would need:
 >
 >  ka + u + <space> + zwj + h + ya
 >
 > That is, the syllable 'ku' followed by an isolated post-base form
 > of ya.
 >
 >  ka + u + h + ya

I am not very sure that  this proposal applies to Malayalam, and if at
all, how  it is relevant.  I had  forwarded this to some  of the Indic
language related lists, but nobody has responded so far.

As of now, h + ya and h+va (0D35) show the correct substitution in the
font I used  in the (attached) png, but not for  Akruti.  Ummm ... the
ligature ya  exists in Akruti,  as char 163;  and ligature va  is 123,
which  too does  not render  as  expected. In  malotf, the  respective
glyphs are 208  and 210. In the non-otf  Malayalam.ttf, the glyphs are
ed2f, and 3d35 (va) resepctively.

I  think I have  just stumbled  on some  bug in  Akruti here.   The ya
ligature is  rendered only with the h+ya+h+ya  sequence, which renders
as  halant+ligature+standalone   ya.   Hmmm...   Akruti   is  behaving
strangely here.

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
Distributing free copies of non-free software is like advertising drugs.