Thai fonts small compared to regular characters

Hello,

I'm trying to learn thai, but I'm having some problems with the
display of thai fonts on my gnome desktop. For some reason, thai fonts
are rendered a lot smaller then regular characters. Since the regular
characters and the thai characters are taken from a different font, i
believe it should be possible to make my thai letters bigger, leaving
the latin's at their regular (sufficient) size. The link below shows
my problem (Whole GTK has this, not only firefox):

http://files.lambda1.be/screenshots/thai.png

Are my thoughts right, is this just a matter of the right config
option in the right place?

Thanks in advance,
Ruben
--