Re: Thai fonts small compared to regular characters

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 11:52:10AM +0700, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 12:37:02AM +0700, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:15:11AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > But for independent fonts, why isn't it possible to simply make the
> > > ascent/descent/line-larger with respect to the EM square for Thai fonts
> > > than for Latin fonts?
> > >
> > > That is, a 10pt Latin font might have a line spacing of 13 points, while
> > > a 10pt Thai font could have a line spacing of 17 points. That shouldn't
> > > cause any clipping problems.
> >
> > Do you mean, for example, EM = 1000, asc = 1040, desc = 260?
> > Is this possible? (FontForge seems to prohibit asc + desc > EM.)
> > Or do you mean other metrics?
>
> My another guess is that FontForge has now re-computed the
> ascender/descender of the font based on the highest/lowest glyphs.
> (Is that right?)
>
> In fact, I had done some experimental fonts in my local copy after the
> change in FontForge had been noticed. They worked well with GTK+ widgets.
> But as I said, I was not sure about other apps, esp. Mozilla, where
> clipping were occasionally found when used in HTML forms. So, they were
> just dismissed, letting Loma be the only test alone so far.
>
> Seeing comments in this thread, I may revoke the proposal to scale up
> the fonts again.

OK. I've tried scaling up the fonts. In general, texts in web pages are
properly rendered by Mozilla without being clipped. However, sizes of
dialog boxes, as well as some widget entries, seem to be based on font
point size. So, they are not correctly calculated, and texts are
occasionally clipped, like this (notice also that some lower parts of
the dialog are missed):
  http://linux.thai.net/~thep/shots/mozilla-pref-dialogsize.png
And this, from Firefox's location bar combo box:
  http://linux.thai.net/~thep/shots/firefox-combo-clip.png

However, this clipping does not occur with GTK+ widgets.
So, may I assume this is Mozilla's bug, not the font's?

-Thep.
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/