Re: Possible Pango 1.4 ideas

Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca pacaterie u-psud fr> writes:

> On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 23:51, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca pacaterie u-psud fr> writes:
> >
> > > [*] ie., I've not measured it, just seen GtkTextView in action... but I
> > > don't how representative is GtkTextView
> >
> > Quick timing is that GtkTextView is about 14 times as fast as
> > AbiWord 0.99.4 at laying out text. (Yeah, it's an old copy
> > of AbiWord, but what I had available to try on the machine
> > where I was doing the timing.)
>
> You're right.  My apologies.  The text files that I was opening with
> GtkTextView were much bigger than I first thought (they didn't seem to
> be *so* big until I opened them with abiword and I saw the number of
> pages), and I got the impression that GtkTextView was lagging.

One thing to realize is that text editors like Emacs or vi are
_really fast_. They generally don't actually lay out the text,
and instead simply count lines, or (for Emacs) characters, when
setting up the scrollbars.

Because GtkTextView handles styled text, and because it displays
pixel-based scrollbars, it will never be as fast as that sort
of text editor.