Re: Possible Pango 1.4 ideas

Hello,

I have another feature request, hopefully also just a
doddle— smarter rendering of so-called invalid combinations.

OpenType documentation[1] seems to say that invalid
combinations should be handled thusly:

 - If a combining character is preceded by a space and a
   zero width joiner, render it all by itself.

 - Otherwise, render it on top of U+25CC DOTTED CIRCLE.
   This way it will look the way it does in the unicode.org
   code charts.

Note also that the Unicode Standard 3.2, section 2.6, says:
"By convention, diacritical marks used by the Unicode
Standard may be exhibited in (apparent) isolation by
applying them to U+0020 SPACE or to U+00A0 NO BREAK SPACE."

Noah

[1] http://microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/indicot/other.htm
    http://microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/arabicot/other.htm