Re: Features needed for high-end DTP apps

I read a little more.
Optical kerning analyzes the glyphs themselves to decide on the best
spacing between glyphs (ie. If an o can slide under the Y a little
closer). Wouldn't this be nearly identical to fitting text into an
arbitrary shaped container? You essentially need to bring two bezier
paths together in a limited fashion (ie. along a straight line). The
only different I see is that there would be less variables so it could
be optimized better and deciding how much space is enough would require
some experimentation. I imagine you could do this differently with
rasterized fonts (or bitmap fonts) but I'm not sure that you would. ?