Re: Location of recently-used file

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 14:02 +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Perhaps this should only go to the xdg list, but seeing as you've
> already taken matters into your own hands I'm mailing here as well.
>
> The issue is the name and location of the recently-used file.  In
> 2.10.0, the location changed to ~/.recently-used.xbel.  Version 0.2 of
> the "Recent File Storage Specification" [1]

That specification is deprecated, as it is its reference implementation
in libegg, and should not be upholded anymore.

The storage format specification for the new recent files in GTK+ is
defined at:

  http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2dbookmark_2dspec

which mandates the location for three bookmark files:

  $HOME/.recently-used.xbel 		# recently used files
  $HOME/.recent-applications.xbel	# recently launched applications
  $HOME/.shortcuts.xbel			# user defined file selector shortcuts

these locations were chosen because they mapped already existing files,
like $HOME/.recently-used and $HOME/.gtk-bookmarks.

> specifies that it should
> be ~/.recently-used.  Following the 0.6 version of the "XDG Base
> Directory Specification" [2] suggests that it should be stored in
> either $XDG_CACHE_HOME/recently-used.xbel or
> $XDG_DATA_HOME/recently-used.xbel depending on how "essential" this
> data is.

XDG_DATA_HOME might be better a better choice than CACHE.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com