Re: Printing settings, again

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 02:00 -0500, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Last time I was convinced that it's business of cups manager
> or somebody else to manage default printing settings, but
> what about lpr and pdf backends (I don't know what cups
> is, so I have no idea if this is applicable to cups backend)?
>
> GTK must have default printing settings stored somewhere.
> For example, user should be able to specify his favorite lpr
> command without need to enter it again and again, or entering
> it in gedit, in mozilla, in foobar, and so on.

Its pretty clear that for cups the defaults are stored in the cups
configuration for each printer. This is something that all distributions
lets you set up, and that all apps (not only gtk ones) use. However, as
you say, this don't really apply to the lpr backend.

I'm not really well versed in how lpr works though. There are files
like /etc/printcap that are used by the lpr system, so maybe there is
already some place to save lpr default options?

Introducing read-write printing settings in gtk+ is a bit problematic,
as there is currently no support for such settings in gtk+.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a suicidal one-eyed senator with a robot buddy named Sparky. She's a
psychotic Buddhist socialite fleeing from a Satanic cult. They fight crime!