Re: Introspection API

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 10:38 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 10:58 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

>> >c_name:   The symbol which can be used to obtain the function pointer with dlsym().
>> >
>> >So yes.
>>
>>   Right, I did miss that.  I just read "in diagonal"...

>> >Hmm.  That is a problem.  Perhaps we could provide a way to easily
>> >generate marshallers for functions in the introspection data on the
>> >client end.  It's a little unclear to me how this would integrate into
>> >compilation.
>> >
>> >I guess languages like Java/C# will already be using libffi or
>> >equivalent and so this won't be an issue.
>>
>>   I'm not saying libffi is bad, if we have computer generated prototype
>> descriptions.  Manually using libffi is more of a problem due to the
>> human tendency to make mistakes...
>>
>>   Another concern about libffi is portability.  But I looked at the home
>> page and it seems to be fairly portable, so event that may not be much
>> of a problem.
>>
>>   I just wanted these things to be clear.  No point in agreeing on
>> high-level interfaces if we can't get lower-level details to work.
>
>Is using libffi or something similar a problem ?
>
>I'm not a language binding expert, therefore I just included what is
>provided by the .defs plus some obvious additions.

  If you call this an *introspection* API, it means things are to be
done at runtime.  The way the .defs are used in pygtk is to generate
compile-time wrappers.  This has proved not to be very effective, so the
idea is to move away from compile-time wrappers and do everything like
we do with signals and properties, at run-time.

> Should we make the
>introspection api depend on libffi and offer some form of call-by-name
>interface + the ability to register type conversion functions ? How
>would such an api look like ?

  Better not to create such an API, I think.  It would always be very
much language specific.  Let each binding do its own thing.

  Unless, and this is what I thought initially that would be done, we
have an API to call functions using function name and GValue's.  For
example.

 gboolean g_call_function(const char *name, GValueArray *parameters,
GValue *ret_val); /* returns FALSE if function failed */

  This would be nice as it would avoid libffi altogether, at least from
the bindings side.  But the glib introspection code would probably have
to do GValue conversion itself and use libffi anyway, unless all API
functions are properly registered like properties and signals are, which
I do not see as happening any time soon, honestly.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.