Re: gtk API still changing

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 14:55, Jeffrey Morgan wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 08:54, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 14:02, Jeffrey Morgan wrote:
> > > There have been several API changes
> >
> > Some, but not so many, I think.
> >
> > >  made to gtk even after the
> > > 2.3.4 release.  How can we include these changes in our bindings
> > > and still have a beta release on Monday?
> >
> > I guess that you are talking about the API freeze. As I said before,
> > Bindings API changes to cope with GTK+ API changes will be allowed, of
> > course.
>
> What I am thinking about is if I add these APIs to my
> bindings now it will not compile with gtk 2.3.4 and I
> will be in the same position you were in with our first
> release.

Yes, you might want to roll a tarball before making the change. Then we
can just use that. If GTK+ made more frequent releases then this would
be less of a problem - we are making a big fuss about that.

I guess that we are unlikely to have another GTK+ release before March
1st, so we will need to take care about this. I might temporarily
comment-out some bits of code just so I can build a tarball while still
delivering the lastest gtkmm API in a tarball.

I'm CCing gtk-devel-list just to show once again how important it is to
have a release schedule, with freezes, though I think they've got the
message already and they're trying to make the best of things now.

>   I guess our process should not be to stay
> current with gtk cvs but instead to stay current with
> gtk releases.

That's up to you. I hope that you won't have to make that decision in
future if there are more frequent GTK+ releases.

For GNOME 2.7/2.8, the Platform Bindings will have releases at the same
time as GNOME itself, and I very much hope that GTK+ will have releases
at the same time too.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com