Re: File chooser API for formats in Save mode

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 23:18, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> Seth's new design for the file chooser calls for a combo box that
> displays available formats for saving:

	I'm deeply confused as to how this is conceptually different to the
GtkFileFilter stuff - surely, you have a given number of export as well
as import filters; and while perhaps the full set of GtkFileFilter stuff
isn't necessary - things like the 'mime-type' will get you a suitable
icon for saving stuff; failing that a hack like:

	gtk_file_filter_set_icons (GtkFileFilter *filter,
				   GdkPixbuf *small,
				   GdkPixbuf *large);

	or something would fill the gap - surely ?

> void gtk_file_chooser_add_save_format (GtkFileChooser *chooser,
> 				       gint            id,
> 				       const gchar    *name,
> 				       GdkPixbuf      *small_icon,
> 				       GdkPixbuf      *large_icon);

	Havoc's comments on API explosion here seem most reasonable; and the
GtkFileFilter API has been designed to avoid some of the worst effects
of this.

> What do people think of this API?  [Owen, you had more ideas during
> today's meeting...]

	Looks like a lot of new API, done in a non OO fashion that may cause
problems rather close to the API freeze :-) At least have a
'GtkFileSaveFormat' object - but then that begins to look something like
the GtkFileFilter object anyway.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot