gtksheet2 - addition of rows with widgets

Updating my previous Post, I've managed to get around the problem
by hacking a little bit of the gtksheet2 code.

Replaced

gtk_widget_set_parent (widget, GTK_WIDGET(sheet));

with

g_object_ref (widget);
gtk_object_sink (GTK_OBJECT (widget));
widget->parent = GTK_WIDGET(sheet);

Problem was that the requirement that if the parent is realized the child
needs to be realized meant that the routine -

gtk_sheet_realize_child(sheet, child);

futher below wasn't getting run.

Initially when the sheet hasn't been 'show'n  it isn't realized,
so this never is an issue...except when I go to add more widgets to
rows I've just added.

Any suggestions?

Am I breaking  some rules?

Joe