Re: gdk_drag_motion(): What is it good for?

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 12:17, Murray Cumming wrote:
> Here's another obscure question:
>
> There is a gdk_drag_motion() function. The documentation says
> "
> Updates the drag context when the pointer moves or the set of actions
> changes. This function is called by the drag source.
> "
> But I can't find any use of this function in any GTK+ example or GNOME
> code. Should it really be a public function?

It's not useful for applications; it's used only by the GTK+ DND code.
But we don't have a real convention for gtk-only functions, and
definitely didn't gdk_display_open_default_libgtk_only back then (more
recently, we added gdk_display_open_default_libgtk_only ())

> The documentation for gdk_drag_status() says
> "This function is called by the drag destination in response to
> gdk_drag_motion() called by the drag source." But I think maybe that
> really means "in response to the drag_motion signal emitted by the drag
> source", in which case gdk_drag_motion() would not be involved.

I guess what I'd say for gdk_drag_status() is something like.

 gdk_drag_status() is called by the drag destination to respond to
 a new position sent from the drag source.

 If a GTK+ application includes the %GTK_DEST_DEFAULT_MOTION
 flag when calling gtk_drag_dest_set(), then the GTK+ library
 will take care of calling gdk_drag_status(), otherwise the
 application must call gdk_drag_status() if it returns %TRUE
 from the ::drag-motion. gdk_drag_status() can be called within
 the ::drag-motion callback or later after data is retrieved
 from the source.

Want to fix that?

Thanks,