notebook widget (#72101)

the inconsistant nature of tabs in gnome applications and the lengthy
and unresolved nature of bug #72101 has me inspired to write a notebook
widget that centralizes most of the diverging functionalities.

my question is how to approach this. should i prepare it as a patch
against the existing GtkNotebook? what i'm asking is, does gtk want a
notebook widget with close boxes, draggable tabs, hot and cold running
water kitchen sink, etc?

or should i write a notebook class that inherits from the basic
functionality of GtkNotebook? GnomeNotebook? EggNotebook?

point me down the correct path and i'll get going.

thanks,

anthony

ps - is ok it if i post to this list without talking about my file
selector drafts?