Re: Suggested patch for improved locale handling on Win32

Owen Taylor writes:
 > I guess it depends on what it is used for. To change it from returning
 > the message locale to returning the CTYPE locale seems a bit dubious
 > to me in terms of compatibility.

Well, considering that g_win32_getlocale looks at LC_ALL, LC_MESSAGES
and LANG hasn't been documented anyway (my bad), and that looking at
the Unixish LC_* env vars is not something that many users would know
to expect anyway, I don't think that is much of a problem.

 > I think there are memory leak problems with your patch. Your new
 > function returns memory that must be freed, which is different
 > from setlocale(LC_CTYPE, NULL), so you can't just make a single
 > line substitution.

 > > -	  locale = setlocale (LC_CTYPE, NULL);
 > > +	  locale = _gtk_get_lc_ctype ();

True, but on the other hand that code path is executed at the most
once, isn't it? But OK, I can g_free() it.

 > The language here needs some help. Can I suggest: [...]

 > The typical language for this is 'should not be modified or freed'

OK.

--tml