Re: GtkToolbar drag and drop

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 14:01, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > Random thought: would you want to know the GtkAction being dropped so
> > you could display the new toolbar button (perhaps in faded form or
> > something)?
>
> I think this is a very interesting idea. It would also perfectly
> integrate with current implementation of EggEditableToolbar.

	I've been thinking about the toolbar editor for a few years now; and I
was just looking at the gtk+ merging stuff which looks rather good - and
highly suitable for creating a compatible wrapper with libbonoboui [as
far as I can see] - for which I'm grateful.

	Anyhow - I poked at EggEditableToolbar; and I had a few questions:

	* How does this deal with the whole concept of 'merge ids' ?

		+ a merge id is a way of identifying a whole batch of
		  updates (perhaps distinguishing  separate components)
		  and separating updates, from overrides.

	* Do we allow per-merge-id abstract serialisers ? ie. it's
	  possible that a certain merge is in fact from out of process
	  and thus the 'save config' stuff doesn't belong in that file.

	* Do we do merge-id informed serialiser / backend
	  identification, eg. a different merge_id may come from a
	  different source XML file on disk - two files may be
	  intermingled, with some funky placeholder setup. We have to
	  be clever such that we associate the given action(set) with
	  the right 'merge_id' / source; and use that information to
	  ensure we insert the item into the right configuration set.

	Anyhow - I suppose that was the brunt of what I was thinking; do they
dovetail with the egg work so far ? it seems none of it is particularly
insuperable, but clearly worth getting right.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot