Re: Smart empty submenus

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 17:35, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Am Di, 2003-09-30 um 23.26 schrieb Owen Taylor:
> > Is reusing is_important for this really a good idea? I don't see why
> > it's the same thing at all; reusing it because it is otherwise unused
> > for menu items with submenus seems a bit dubious.
>
> My reasoning was roughly that the the only reason why you would want
> users to see a menu even if it is empty was that the menu is kind of
> "important".

I'm not sure that's the case; I think the main reason you'd want to
keep an empty menu visible is if it was a user-configurable
"list of something" - like a bookmarks menu. That doesn't mean
that it's more important than the "File" menu. It's just a difference
in kind.

But more than that, even if it is some sort of idea of "importance",
it's a completely different idea of importance than the priority
text usage.

> Thus reusing the "is_important" property seemed not too
> illogical. But I don't have a problem to add a separate flag. What would
> you prefer: hide_if_empty, show_always,...

hide-if-empty, defaulting to TRUE sounds good to me.