Re: is gtk_timeout_remove gone?

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 08:49, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 00:54, James Henstridge wrote:
> > Dan Mills wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It seems a recent gtk+ change is breaking gnome-games:
> > >
> > > tetris.cpp: In function `int Tetris::gameEnd (GtkWidget *, void *)':
> > > tetris.cpp:710: `gtk_timeout_remove' undeclared (first use this
> > > function)
> > >
> > > Is it something that should be fixed in gnome-games?
> >
> > Questions like this should probably be asked on gtk-app-devel-list
> > rather than gtk-devel-list.  This list is for discussion relating to
> > development of gtk, rather than with gtk.
>
> If functions are changing in status and it is breaking compilation of
> our snaps (which are supposed to be the primary test of dogfoodability
> and sanity) then I would hope that this is the right list to go to.
>
> > You are probably compiling with GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED defined.
>
> Which everyone should be doing.

For production builds (as opposed to development) GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED
should not be used, because it can never be predicted what functions
will be deprecated in the future.

(The alternate to that would be to never add new deprecations, which
would definitely be suboptimal)

[ It would be nice if GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED could work more
like the deprecated attribute in recent GCC ... but the way we do
it now is much more portable, comprehensive, and easier to use ]