eggsystray.c

Am I right in assuming this is part of libegg?

Also, I have noticed that the NEW version of GAIM (0.60) uses this code to
put an icon in the toolbar (in gnome). - This also looks like this was the
way that RedHat went for their update app.  I too have used it and with in
minutes had a tray icon solution for my application.  Is this going to be
used in GTK / GNOME in some way at some point?

I tried using the gnome panel examples and even used code from apps like
gdict and gcd... and was unable to add my own icon into the toolbar (I have
tried several attempts at this).

If libegg's eggsystray.c code is not to be used, will the panel app API be
improved to make things simpler?  The main irritation for me, is that you
can't start your panel app with your own main(argc, argv). - Perhaps,
however, the documentation is unclear or I do not understand how to do this
properly?

Regards,
Martyn