Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] First impressions of ekiga

On Monday 13 March 2006 20:05, Chris Rankin wrote:
> I have now installed ekiga, with siproxd on my NAT router as an outgoing
> proxy.
>
> First impressions are OK, although ekiga does seem unwilling to abort
> making a new connection when told to. I had forgotten to disable NAT when I
> switched to using siproxd, which meant that ekiga was trying in vain to
> create a new connection. However, it proved very difficult to tell ekiga to
> hang up - basically, it ignored the "hang-up" button.

I have exactly the same problem.

> The echo test is working OK, except that the picture seems to break much
> more easily than it did under GnomeMeeting. Worse, I get green squares
> flickering at random whenever I channel the stream through siproxd, so I'm
> guessing that siproxd is corrupting a few of the video packets. Audio seems
> OK, although maybe that's more due the statistics of the packet corruption
> than anything else.

My experience is quite different.  Video quality appears quite good.  Audio is
lousy.  Running Ekiga in a terminal, I receive many messages of the following
type:

2006/03/13 20:20:20.673   8:04.933          Media Patch:83faaa8 RTP     Jitter
buffer length exceeded
2006/03/13 20:20:20.674   8:04.933          Media Patch:83faaa8 RTP     Jitter
buffer oldest packet (2386657120 < 2386657120) too late, throwing away

Am I dight in suspecting that the problem lies in the quality of my internet
connection?

Also, neither F1 nor the Help button seem able to retrieve the manual.  I have
verified that the manual is present.  Could this be caused by me setting
--prefix=/opt/gnome when compiling?

Allan