[GnomeMeeting-list] MS-GSM sound quality

Hello,
I am using Ekiga with MS-NetMeeting through VPN. I have the encryption turned off on the VPN server. If I enable the MS-GSM codec, I find the sound quality extremely bad. As if there is a LF ring modulation or a bad sampling frequency conversion. I tried to change the values of the minumum jitter buffer to 125ms or 250ms, with no effect. I would expect a sound quality similar to a mobile phone. Am I right to understand that the Speex codecs in NM cannot interoperate with Ekiga? I don't think the problem comes from the VPN, because the sound is perfect with the PCM codecs.
Thanks
Stephan.