[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: Ideas for a new GUI

Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> writes:

> Le lundi 18 avril 2005 à 10:50 +0200, Jan Schiefer a écrit :
>>
>> Hmm... I would prefer video + dialpad in the main window.
>>
>> I know many people ( computer beginners ), who have problems
>> "navigating" with tabs and several windows ( for example when windows
>> are lying over each other ).
>>
>> It would also give GM the character of a real Videophone. These newbies
>> like things that look like real things ( just like their real telephone ).
>>
>> This is the best choice for simplicity.
>>

> That's right, and would you hide the video part when there is no video
> or would you keep it open all the time like it is now?

I for one don't actually care, as long as some default 'animated'
image isn't likely to consume extra CPU cycles. In that regard, I
think the current GUI is basically quite OK. Although, as I said the
other day, I still would like to see a little more info.

If you have the time, maybe it wouldn't be back to take a look at
other softphones. E.g. XLite (for Linux) is a clear example of flashy
but bad UI design.

SJphone (for Linux) on the other hand is very nice, although it's
missing a dial pad. It is (pseudo) tabbed with tabs for

* the servers you're registered on, especially the active server
* missed, received, dialed, current calls each
* contacts

and for all of those optional extra info like time called, duration,
dial string, codec chosen is afaik not yet included but should be, and
other stuff (telco geeks might have additional ideas what else could
or should be included). Very basic but cool, really, and clean either.

Regards, Bruno.