[GnomeMeeting-list] Current status of linking and operation on MacOS X

Hi,

For the benefit of the list and those who have been following this, I am including below a message that I just sent to Roger and Shawn, who have been trying to help me make progress offline with the Mac OS X port of GnomeMeeting.

In short form:

- Shawn has provided a change to the G711.c routine in openh323 that is needed to make GM build OK on Mac OS X

- Building pwlib with ESDDIR defined to a local (/sw) directory is required

- It was necessary to disable the SDL capabilities, since as far as we can tell the current GM code does not conform to the requirements for the argument list for int main listed on the SDL web site as being required for the Mac OS X port ( http://www.libsdl.org/faq.php?action=listentries&category=7#55 ), which in brief form require inclusion of SDL.h into the main_window.cpp file and a definition of int main as

int main(int argc, char*argv[])

rather than the prototype that exists now in main_window.cpp as:

int main (int argc, char ** argv, char ** envp)

By disabling SDL as below, I could get it to work, but with the problems and idiosyncracies noted below.

Note neither of us has been able to figure out how to bring in video input elegantly, although Shawn has a hack that can at least exercise this part of the code.

For further info and details, see Shawn's post of a few days ago on the subject.

Thanks,
Alan

Hi,

I have taken out the SDL hacks that I put in earlier and tried to build everything from scratch with ESDDIR defined to /sw and conditions as close to Shawn's as I could manage.

Here is my configure command:

./configure --with-ptlib-includes=$PWLIBDIR/include/ptlib --with-ptlib-libs=$PWLIBDIR/lib --with-openh323-includes=$OPENH323DIR/include --with-openh323-libs=$OPENH323DIR/lib --with-openssl-include=/usr/include --with-openssl-libs=/usr/lib -with-sdl-prefix=/usr/local -with-sdl-exec-prefix=/dev/null

Everything builds fine with only a few complaints like:

cc1plus: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
In file included from /sw/include/glib-2.0/glib/gmacros.h:36,
                 from /sw/lib/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h:9,
                 from /sw/include/glib-2.0/glib/gtypes.h:30,
                 from /sw/include/glib-2.0/glib/galloca.h:30,
                 from /sw/include/glib-2.0/glib.h:30,
                 from /sw/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdktypes.h:32,
                 from /sw/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcolor.h:4,
                 from /sw/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:30,
                 from /sw/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:31,
                 from main_window.h:34,
                 from main_window.cpp:36:
/usr/include/stddef.h:82: warning: redeclaration of C++ built-in type `wchar_t'
In file included from misc.h:38,
                 from main_window.cpp:51:

and in the linking stage, complaints like the following since I am using Apple's X11 (now v. 0.2) and there seem to be a few leftover symbols from fink:

symbol _FT_Glyph_Copy used from dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib(ftglyph.o) not from earlier dynamic library /sw/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib(ftglyph.lo) symbol _FT_Glyph_Get_CBox used from dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib(ftglyph.o) not from earlier dynamic library /sw/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib(ftglyph.lo) symbol _FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap used from dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib(ftglyph.o) not from earlier dynamic library /sw/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib(ftglyph.lo) symbol _FT_Glyph_Transform used from dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib(ftglyph.o) not from earlier dynamic library /sw/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib(ftglyph.lo) symbol _crypt used from dynamic library /usr/lib/libm.dylib(crypt.So) not from earlier dynamic library /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.dylib(fcrypt.o) ld: warning dynamic shared library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.dylib not made a weak library in output with MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET environment variable set to: 10.1 ld: warning dynamic shared library: /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.dylib not made a weak library in output with MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET environment variable set to: 10.1 ld: warning dynamic shared library: /sw/lib/libbonoboui-2.dylib not made a weak library in output with MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET environment variable set to: 10.1

etc.  ...  I assume these are unimportant.

Then I do a sudo make install and start esd in one terminal window and gnomemeeting in another, with X11 running also.

The GnomeMeeting interface pops up and I am able to interact with it. I can (most of the time) place calls either directly by IP or through my gatekeeper (a RadVision), and unlike the previous version when I had the SDL hacks in, the calls do go through. (Previously with the hacks, as soon as the call connected the moving GnomeMeeting logo would stop and the video would freeze on the receiving end.)

The audio shows up in the preferences panel as ESDaudio. When the application starts, the speaker and microphone volumes always revert to zero, regardless of what they were set to before on any previous session. I can connect to a session, and the GnomeMeeting logo moves around, but even if I adjust the audio volumes, I never hear anything on either the sending or receiving end. The statistics show 0.00/(some number, varying around) for the audio transmission rates and a pair of varying numbers for the video rates.

I can disconnect the session, and get the disconnection audio thunk on the other end, but still no sound at all and no indication on the Mac end. The disconnection is not clean, however, since I cannot initiate a new call after this, and end up having to quit and then control-C the GM session to get it to terminate. It usually will make another connection just fine when I restart GM again.

The audio codecs I am using are G711 (both choices checked, all else unchecked), same as on the Linux machine from which I usually run GM.

I'd like to try to go further, but at this point am pretty stuck. Advice, new hacks, progress etc. would be appreciated. Again, I am running this on a 500 MHz Powerbook G3 (Pismo) under MacOS 10.2.3 with the software setup I described in previous messages.

Any new code to try or experiments to suggest?

Thanks,
Alan

:  Alan Sill, Texas Tech University   Office: Science 117, MS 41051  :
:  e-mail: Alan Sill ttu edu    ph. 806-742-3730   fax 806-742-1182  :
:  CDF trailer 170-D       ph. 630-840-2114       cell 806-790-7462  :