[GnomeMeeting-list] compilation troubles

I've been having difficulties getting GnomeMeeting
v0.9.6 to compile.  GnomeMeeting depends on Gnome
which is practically impossible to install from src
because of all its finicky dependencies, and its
dependencies' dependencies.  So far I've installed
probably 30 dependencies, and I'm down to just
libgnomeui.  But libgnomeui depends on
libgnomecanvas-2.0, and libgnomecanvas-2.0 depends on
gnome-libs v1.0 (no other versions of gnome-libs are
allowed because libgnomecanvas demands gnome-libs v1.0
and no other).  Gnome-libs v1.0 is outdated and wont
compile because it depends on old Berkeley DB v1.85
which is very outdated (made in 1999!).  Berkely DB
v1.85 wont compile under gcc 3.2 and old binary
packages for Slackware are hard to find.

All in all it seems like I'm stuck in an endless loop
of installing dependencies dependencies dependencies.
How difficult would it be to port this to KDE?  I'm
frustrated and I really want to get GnomeMeeting
working because its the only netmeeting compatable app
I've found under linux.
Thanks!

Richard