Re: [GnomeMeeting-list]speed and quality

le mar 23-10-2001 à 07:52, hamaker a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Running Mandrake 8.1,1 ghz amd ,with a Guillemont Cougar Video edition +
> pinnacle tv card.
> NVidia drivers not installed.
> Have an adsl connection to the net.
>
> Installed Gnomemeeting on Kde,works ok.(except the sound)
There can be 2 reasons :
* the artsd daemon, runned by Kde, that blocks the soundcard, perhaps
try to shut it down
* the driver for your soundcard is not Full-Duplex, try to use Alsa
drivers, Mandrake provides support for both of them.

> But it seems a little slow,and the received quality on the other side is not
> good.
> When i use  Netmeeting and ISPQ5 under Windows ,it's perfect.(high framerate
> ,clear picture)
>
> Question 1: should i install the Nvidiadrivers to improve speed and quality?
> Have read many posts about problems with that driver.
> So if it's not a must , i like to keep the system like it is.

No, it is not necessary.

> Question 2: Are there other things to look at to improve it?
Yes, try to open the preferences window, video codecs section, there are
2 settings you can change :
* transmitted video quality -> set it to 1 for maximum quality
* Transmitted Update Blocks -> set it to 2 for maximum quality

It will slower your connection, but you can play with those settings to
get what you want in terms of speed/quality.

Damien

> Still learning Linux,so keep it simple as possible.
>
> TIA

I hope it is simple, if not don't hesitate to ask :)