Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Newbie: slow video

Okay, when I start Gnome and log in as myself (not root), GM starts
automatically but immediately says "Error opening video device /dev/video,
channel 0. Then says it's displaying the test pattern. Also, error opening
device.

I click "Okay" and then click "Settings/Device Settings" and change the
channel from 0 to 1. GM gives the same error as previously except now the
problem is with channel 1.

Here's the problem. If I run GM as root it attempts to discover available
video devices and *loads the appropriate modules* for the bt848 card. So
when GM actually comes up I'm ready to go.

However, bringing GM up as normal user does NOT load the modules and thus GM
does not initialize the video capture hardware because no drivers have been
loaded for it. This is why I had to use KWintv. Question is: why does my
running KWintv as normal user load the modules while running GM as normal
user does not?

As for framerates, on the source computer I'm getting what appears to be
around 15fps (1.2GHz Athlon TBird, 256MB, Radeon AIW). On the Windows
Netmeeting system (1.2GHz Athlon TBird, 256MB, Kyro II) I get perhaps 2 fps.
I have not tested GM to GM but will do so at the earliest opportunity.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I appreciate it.

Paul Nixon