Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll: Is GnomeMeeting ready for 1.00

Hello,

Please try to use the address you used when subscribing for mailing.
Thanks.

Le jeu 12/06/2003 à 21:13, Kenneth R. van Wyk a écrit :

> That is essentially correct.  I'll re-iterate, though, that if I take the same
> Logitech QuickCam Pro 4500 over to my Win2k laptop, netmeeting holds the
> video signal indefinitely (or until the next BSOD, whichever comes first :-)
> on the exact same LAN.

First thing here :
- does the video signal freeze from GnomeMeeting to Netmeeting only or
from GnomeMeeting to GnomeMeeting too?

If we are in case 1, I think you will admit that having Netmeeting
compatible with itself, but buggy with other software is something very
microsoftish. Having Netmeeting able to hold the video signal forever to
another Netmeeting doesn't mean anything to me, just that it is
consistent with itself.

That would probably be the same from GM to GM.

> I didn't do that per se, but I did try designating my workstation as the "DMZ
> Host" in the Linksys setup.  That causes all unsolicited packets to go to it,
> across all TCP/UDP ports.  Same results.  Oh, and I tried it with and without
> the IP masquerading feature in GnomeMeeting turned on.  Same results.

DMZ or not, the problem is with NAT in general. So the DMZ doesn't help
here if your router doesn't support H323 through NAT, or only supports
the old H.323 protocol version 1 supported by Netmeeting.

> I've deleted the debug output that I previously sent you (about 1-1.5 months
> ago).  But, it should still be in the list archives.  Or, do you want me to
> re-run the test?

Debug levels are never in the archives.

> Sigh...  I can sympathize.  I've tried this on several Debian systems, behind
> two different Linksys routers and saw the same thing on both.  And in both
> cases, Netmeeting was able to work.

That doesn't mean anything to me either. Again, it simply means that the
Linksys router works with Netmeeting and that Netmeeting works with
Netmeeting. What can we conclude?

> > I also remember that I had asked you if your Linksys router was
> > supporting H.323 or not.
>
> I have never been able to get a clear answer on that.  On the Linksys web site
> (www.linksys.com), their knowledge base says that it works with Netmeeting if
> you designate the host to be a DMZ host.  They do not claim (as far as I
> could see) to natively support H323 per se.  So, merely opening TCP/1720 does
> not work.  The only way that I've gotten it to function is by opening the
> range of ports and forwarding them to my workstation.

We can *not* debug the problem until we do not have a precise answer to
the question. The linksys router could support an old version of H.323
and be puzzled with more recent versions, but it could also not be a
router problem, see below.

> > - I need to know the result of the connections without using the Linksys
> > router
>
> As a "DMZ host", same problem.  I have not plugged the workstation directly
> onto the cable modem, however.  I'd prefer not to for various reasons, but if
> you think that this is a vital debugging step, then I'll do it.

I think it will permit to determine where is the problem.
But before, we have to know if it happens from GnomeMeeting to
Netmeeting only or from GnomeMeeting to GnomeMeeting too
That is the first step.

Then trying without the router (if still required) is the second step.

If we can determine that it only happens from GnomeMeeting to Netmeeting
and not from GnomeMeeting to GnomeMeeting, then the bug is not due to
the router and it is a bug in either GnomeMeeting or Netmeeting. The
fact that GnomeMeeting was intensively tested by a few persons with
dedicated hardware and that it works correctly would tend to indicate a
Netmeeting bug.

But again, perhaps your problem also appears from GM to GM, in that case
we need to determine if the problem is due to the router or not.

[...]

> Would it help for me to collect all software/firmware versions and post them
> here?

I don't think so.

> Cheers,

Thanks !