Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] SIP and GnomeMeeting - please comment

mån 2003-02-24 klockan 09.42 skrev Damien Sandras:
> Just a few precisions:
> - translators are not considered as developers, a developer is somebody
> who codes on the software. That doesn't mean translators are not doing a
> good job or useful, that's just something different.

Ok, I can understand that, but my impression (don't remember if it was
from the website, the AUTHORS file or the About box) was something
different. Glad you clarified that issue.

> - impressions or not, you do not have to comment about me and tell on
> mailing list I've said libs suck when that's not true. I consider this
> as a personal attack against me, not against the project. So don't try
> to say now that "I choose to interpret criticisms about GM development
> and directions as personal attacks". It has nothing to do with GM
> development, you don't have a clue anyway about GM development.

Ok, then I guess the only one per definition that does have a clue is
you. I only know what you say in public, I don't know what's in your
mind, and I guess there's many others that don't. :(

> - I do not have time to write a replacement for Esound or the GNOME
> sound management, things will improve with GStreamer/MAS. Believe me or
> not but I'm already spending all my spare time on gnomemeeting and
> FOSDEM and I can't do more.

I do know that. I think that's true for almost everyone involved in a
free software project - time is limited and you can't improve everything
you would like to, and both you and me and others know that. That's not
the issue here.

The issue here is to add a minimal amount of effort to get things moving
in the right direction, like for example filing bug reports. Especially
if one does complain about the stuff in question all the time. Filing
bug reports is hardly rocket science and only takes a minute or two of
your time. Keeping complaining about stuff forever without doing even
the smallest thing about it just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
We're all volunteers here and the "they haven't fixed it for me yet"
attitude is hardly positive or encouraging. A bug report or two at the
other hand so that the problems at least can be tracked is one form of
contribution that shows at least some amount of good faith though.

> And yes, non-GNOME users are a concern for
> me, you have to think to non-GNOME users when you code an application.
> GnomeMeeting is not *only* used by GNOME users, far from that.
> GnomeMeeting is also being ported to other platforms than Linux, where
> GNOME libs are not ported, and no, I have no time to port them.

I fully understand that. But perhaps writing a seperate, minimal client
is easier from a portability standpoint. But I'm certainly no expert.
As long as there is extensive GNOME integration and GNOME libraries are
used by default when available, and development of GnomeMeeting itself
won't suffer resource-wise from the porting efforts, I'm happy.

Christian